Saturday, September 19, 2026

WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS by Patrick Chalfant Pgs. 229-230

 WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS by Patrick Chalfant  Pgs. 229-230


    Most of my afternoon was spent in winter slumber.  When I awoke I could hardly move. Due to the soreness caused by
the suicide sled ride that morning.  I spent some time in the tub, relaxing in a hot bath.  Outside, the snow was falling in record
amounts.  I returned to my room and was getting dressed when I heard Mom and Dad talking in the kitchen.

    "I'll be back tomorrow,"  Dad's voice said.
    "I'm not so sure you should be going.  Those roads are slick,"  Mom responded.
    "Quit worrying, I'll be fine."
    "I just don't know why you're doing this now.  Can't you wait until the weather breaks?"
    "We don't have much time.  The sale will be here before we know it.  Every second I don't get something done is a second that's
been wasted."
    "But those roads are dangerous.  You could get killed out there!  This place isn't worth that."  Mom's voice broke.  "It's only land;
it's only a house!  We can rebuild, we've done it before,"  Mom cried and then paused.  "Maybe the boys are right."
    "Right about what?"
    "Maybe we ought to declare bankruptcy and put an end to all this madness."
    "No way am I gonna do that."
    "But why?"
    " 'Cause I'd never live it down, that's why."
    "Live it down to who?  The people in town?"  Mom said with anger.  "To hell with them!  I don't care what they think.  We can
survive their talk."
    "Maybe you can, but they know me.  They've known me their whole lives.  I'd never live it down."
    "So what?  We'll move."
    "That's not very fair to the boys.  They don't need to change schools again."
    "I wish you could listen to how ridiculous you sound.  Bankruptcy isn't  such a bad thing.  Times have changed."
    "Yeah, but I haven't,"  Dad said on his way out the door.
    "Please be careful, dear,"  Mom called out from inside the house.
    "I will.  Don't worry about me,"  his fading voice said in the snow.

    Mom closed the door and walked back to the kitchen.  As was her tendency after a confrontation, she returned to her chair
and continued crying.  I knew that I shouldn't bother her now, but I had to have more information.  Since Devin was asleep, she
might just talk.  In the past, Mom often censored delicate information from Devin because she didn't know if he was old enough
to handle it.  Of course he was old enough now, but she still thought of him as the baby of the family.  Actually, I think she still
thought of me as a child, also.  Nonetheless, this was an opportune moment, and I had to act, so I quickly dressed myself and walked to the kitchen.
    As was expected, I found Mom sitting down with her head in her hands, crying softly.
    "You alright?"
    "No,"  she whispered.
    "Anything I can do to help?"
    "No,"  she said while raising her head and wiping the tears from her eyes.


No comments: