Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Real Sourdough Bread

I followed this recipe pretty closely....no-knead-sourdough-bread  I've been meaning to, but haven't tried my hand at authentic sourdough bread in several years....

 I love my Dough Whisk from King Arthur Flour (buy them here)!  We used organic, freshly ground Wheat Montana flour.  Next time, I'll try Spelt....

Sticky dough!

I thought that the sourdough used all its oomph and wouldn't rise anymore, so we considered the bread a failure at this point, but we popped them into the oven anyway and said "Why bother about the pan of hot water (for the steam)?" But we should have- they did rise some after going into the oven and the steam would have let them rise even more...oh well!


Check the temperature to see if the bread is done baking...
 I took it out at 190 and rising...I should have made sure that it was 200...

It kept pretty fresh and moist for at least 3 days, considering there is no fat, milk or eggs, not too bad!  

We popped one straight into the freezer (We sure don't need to sit down and eat 2 loves of bread in one week!).  Hubby wasn't sure he liked it, but got used to it....in fact later in the week we ate out and he ordered a burger on sourdough....he said he couldn't even tell that it was sourdough, too wimpy! 


Eaten with plenty of organic butter, and maybe some homemade organic Strawberry Freezer Jam!

Not bad!

No comments: